commons-user mailing list archives

From David Rosenstrauch <dar...@darose.net>
Subject Status of Commons Compress
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2009 21:37:40 GMT
I need to add tar file reading capability into an app I'm writing, and
so I'm wondering what the current status of Commons Compress is.  The
project's page is rather sparse.  Nevertheless, I did glean that it has
no releases yet.  So I was wondering:

1) Anyone have an idea if there's a release expected anytime soon?

2) If not, what quality level is the SVN code?  Obviously usually
pre-release implies code of questionable reliability.  But as the code
in Compress originally comes from Avalon -> Ant -> an older open source
project, perhaps the code is of sufficient age and maturity that it'd be
pretty reliable even in its pre-release format.  So, in other words, is
the SVN code stable enough to use on a production system?

3) If it's not stable enough, what ancestor code would one recommend
that I use instead?  Ant?

Thanks,

DR