commons-user mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using DBCP with Hibernate - How to reconnect if the poolable connection is closed
Date Sat, 18 Apr 2009 19:32:36 GMT
Ryunix wrote:
> Hi Carman and Phil,
> thanks for the effort put for this issue.
> please excuse my lengthy explanation on the problem which lead me my
> question.
>
> Our application provides webservices to be used by various application in
> our client's environment and generally works fine. However, if there is a
> firewall between our application and the database, some problem occur. at
> certain webservice call, it will throw the error message 'no more data to
> read from socket', and we found out that this is because of the firewall
> will interrupt inactive connection between the app server and the DB after
> 120 minute.
>
> To resolve this, we suggested to update the idle time setting in the oracle
> to 90, with the hope that the oracle will terminate the connection before
> the firewall, and let the 'testOnBorrow' of dbcp to validate the connection
> before it is used. However, this does not resolve our problem. :(:confused:.

testOnBorrow tests the connection before only when it is borrowed from
the pool.  I am not a Hibernate expert, but to understand exactly what
is going on here, you need to determine when connections are being
borrowed from the pool vs being reused by your application or Hibernate
without being returned to the pool.  If a connection is reused without
being returned and re-borrowed from the pool, dbcp cannot validate it.
> Our next action was to enable the 'removeAbandoned' of the dbcp, suspecting
> that the unclosed unconnection was the one contributing to the whole issue.
> Even though enabling this feature does not resolve our problem, it does
> gives us some clue on the issue. My removeAbandoned does not take effect
> because it did not meet the condition where numActive > maxActive -3, hence
> I tested in my local with a low 'maxActive' setting and found out that there
> is a function which indeed create unclosed connection on certain occasion.
> This had finally led me to the finding that when the poolable connection is
> closed, i am not able to obtain a new poolable connection within the same
> webservice invocation.
>
> It is important to me to know how to obtain the new connection as we would
> like the webservice to be able to obtain a new connection if the current
> connection is not active.

As long as each time your web service needs a connection it is using
BasicDataSource's getConnection(), testOnBorrow=true should ensure that
the returned connection is valid.  It should not make a difference, but
you could also set testOnReturn to true to see if this improves the
situation.  That property triggers validation before connections are
returned to the pool.

Here is how things are supposed to work from the dbcp perspective (as of
1.2.2):

0) application calls getConnection.  If there is an idle connection in
the pool, the connection is returned.  If testOnBorrow is true, the
connection is validated first.  If validation fails, the connection is
destroyed and getConnection (actually pool's borrowObject) tries again.
If all of the idle connections are "bad" (as could be happening in your
case), they will all be examined and destroyed in this process and a new
one will be created, validated and returned.

1) application calls close on the PoolableConnection that it got from
getConnection.  If testOnReturn is set to true, the connection is
validated before being returned to the pool.  If validation fails, it is
destroyed.

If removeAbandoned is set to true,  before getConnection tries to
retrieve a connection from the pool in 0), it checks
 (getNumIdle() < 2) && (getNumActive() > getMaxActive() - 3) ) .  If
this is true, abandoned connections are destroyed.  Whether or not a
connection is considered "abandoned" is determined by whether or not it
has been used (checked out, checked in, prepared a statement, etc.) more
recently than the removeAbandonedTimeout.

What version of dbcp and pool are you running?

Phil