commons-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [commons-exec] How to exec scp from cygwin?
Date Sat, 04 Apr 2009 00:42:38 GMT
On 03/04/2009, Michael K. Craghead <mcraghead@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It turned out to be relatively simple. All I had to do was create a command line with
a string of the absolute path of cygwin (relative path probably works as well if cygwin is
in your PATH or System Path):

>  Executor exec = new DefaultExecutor();
>  CommandLine cl = new CommandLine("c:\\cygwin\\cygwin.bat");
>
>  The part that I was confused about was how to get the Executor to take the scp as part
of the cygwin and not a windows command since the openssh package works as part of cygwin
and not windows (if anyone knows how to use a cygwin ssh package directly from Windows please
let me know). All I needed was a pipe ('|'). I didn't think it would be that simple, as it's
been years since I've done any real work on *NIX without a GUI interface of some sort.

I think you can just run the Cygwin exes in a DOS window.

For example, I just tried:

d:\cygwin\bin\man.exe bash

and that showed the man page for bash.

The Putty toolkit has an ssh command-line client you can use from
Windows, called "plink".  Also "pscp" for copying files.

>  cl.addArgument("|");
>  cl.addArgument("scp");
>  cl.addArgument("-B");
>  cl.addArgument(StringUtils.quoteArgument("/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/michael/some
_file"));
>  cl.addArgument("michael@my_remote_host:/home/michael");
>  exec.executive(cl);
>
>  Of course I had to use the quoteArgument() method for the absolute path of the file
to be transferred since it has spaces and *NIX doesn't like spaces. That was it. I think cygwin
would stay 'active' as long as you kept adding pipes and *NIX commands/scripts to the command
line. I haven't played with it. It's just a guess.

>  For me, the hardest part was just getting openssh setup properly since I hadn't used
it before.

>  Thanks for your interest.
>   Michael K. Craghead

sure how to go about setting up an exec for an scp command that runs inside of cygwin. Can
someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.