commons-user mailing list archives

From Ryunix <budianto.chu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using DBCP with Hibernate - How to reconnect if the poolable connection is closed
Date Sun, 19 Apr 2009 05:11:42 GMT

"How does the application get the connection in 4?  If it gets it from
the pool, it will be validated before the application gets it."

I believe yes, the connection is obtained using the statement
session.getConnection() -> session = hibernate session.
But I am not sure if the connection returned is the connection which is in
the list of 'dbcp.getActiveConnection()'.

"No, dbcp will not hand out multiple handles to the same connection.  If
a client has the connection checked out, it will not be given to another
client."
how would dbcp recognize the client? if the client is an application which
uses the webservice, would dbcp recognized all the webservice call as the
same client? (and thus return the active connection to the client).

Phil Steitz wrote:

> [...]
>> and hence cannot be cleared by idle object evictor.
>>
>> 3. as time goes by, the connection hit the oracle time out.
>> 4. at the next webservice call the application used that particular
>> connection (which already closed), and hence the error occur.
>>
> How does the application get the connection in 4?  If it gets it from
> the pool, it will be validated before the application gets it.
>> do you think the above suspicion valid?, I was having the impression when
>> the item '3' took place, the dbcp could validate the connection before
>> return it to my application, but as you highlighted, 'if the connection
>> is
>> never returned to the pool, it will not be validated'. but it is possible
>> for the dbcp to give that connection to my application (since it is still
>> accounted under 'activeConnection', though it is not in used)?
>>
> No, dbcp will not hand out multiple handles to the same connection.  If
> a client has the connection checked out, it will not be given to another
> client.
>
> Phil
>>

>> Phil Steitz wrote:

>>> testOnBorrow tests the connection before only when it is borrowed from
>>> the pool.  I am not a Hibernate expert, but to understand exactly what
>>> is going on here, you need to determine when connections are being
>>> borrowed from the pool vs being reused by your application or Hibernate
>>> without being returned to the pool.  If a connection is reused without
>>> being returned and re-borrowed from the pool, dbcp cannot validate it.

>>> As long as each time your web service needs a connection it is using
>>> BasicDataSource's getConnection(), testOnBorrow=true should ensure that
>>> the returned connection is valid.  It should not make a difference, but
>>> you could also set testOnReturn to true to see if this improves the
>>> situation.  That property triggers validation before connections are
>>> returned to the pool.
>>>
>>> Here is how things are supposed to work from the dbcp perspective (as of
>>> 1.2.2):
>>>
>>> 0) application calls getConnection.  If there is an idle connection in
>>> the pool, the connection is returned.  If testOnBorrow is true, the
>>> connection is validated first.  If validation fails, the connection is
>>> destroyed and getConnection (actually pool's borrowObject) tries again.
>>> If all of the idle connections are "bad" (as could be happening in your
>>> case), they will all be examined and destroyed in this process and a new
>>> one will be created, validated and returned.
>>>
>>> 1) application calls close on the PoolableConnection that it got from
>>> getConnection.  If testOnReturn is set to true, the connection is
>>> validated before being returned to the pool.  If validation fails, it is
>>> destroyed.
>>>
>>> If removeAbandoned is set to true,  before getConnection tries to
>>> retrieve a connection from the pool in 0), it checks
>>>  (getNumIdle() < 2) && (getNumActive() > getMaxActive() - 3) )
.  If