commons-user mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: Problem with SMTP NoOp in Commons Net
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2009 21:26:08 GMT

In message <e7cb18d90904132331g47390309t41f6daf2fe61dd81@mail.gmail.com>, Pavan
 Kumar writes:
>Why should a SMTP server take more longer time for a NoOp than a regular
>email request with content? Are there any special cases?

Try to telnet to the SMTP port and issue the NOOP command manually.
If there's a delay, then the server may have been configured to
delay responses to certain commands.  If there's no delay, then
perhaps there is something we need to fix in SMTPClient.  However,
there shouldn't be anything different about how a NOOP is submitted
versus any other command.  All commands get routed through sendCommand
if I recall correctly.

daniel