commons-user mailing list archives

From "allen.irwin@smartintegration.com.au" <allen.ir...@smartintegration.com.au>
Subject MaxActive and MaxIdle
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2009 06:18:48 GMT

Hello,

I saw someone else ask this exact same question back in Dec but the reply
they received never really answered the question, so I thought I'd try
again.

I am using the dbcp included within Tomcat 5.5.27.  I configure it using
context.xml with: maxActive="30" maxIdle="10"

I always assumed that maxActive would limit the total amount of DB
connections that could ever be open at one time (in this case 30).  Yet
from what I see it seems like I am limited to maxActive + maxIdle
connections open (in this case 40).  Is that true?

Also, the default behavior seems to be that the connections never close (or
timeout) within the pool when they are not being used.  I had my Tomcat
server sit there for about an hour idle with no client requests incoming
and when I ran netstat -a I still saw 39 connections open, they only closed
when I killed Tomcat.  Do I have to turn on some kind of cleanup explicitly?

thanks!