commons-user mailing list archives

From Sergey Vladimirov <vlser...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [net] GSoC - Add SSH/SCP Support to Commons-Net
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2009 21:44:14 GMT
Hi all,

Regarding including SSH/SCP in commons-net.

Some of projects that i'm involved in, due to non-technical reasons
prohibit direct usage of any cryptogrphic libraries
(binary-dependency). Including, for example, any SSH/SCP libraries
(j2ssh, jsch, etc.).

Thus, i would appreciate adding SCH/SSH functionality as a new library
for commons, not as an addition to commons-net.

One more thing. Friend of mine from MIPT laboratory created small
commons-ssh library ( http://commons-ssh.sourceforge.net/ ) that
behaves like an thin adapter to known SSH implementation. He is okay
to move it under apache commons project and extends to support SCP.

--
Sergey

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@apache.org> wrote:
> Hey Vlad,
>
> Welcome! A few suggestions...
>
> o engage with the community beforehand (you did that - good!)
> o some projects even require a first patch (to judge if the student is
> up to the work)
> o communicate in an open manner - communicate often (given the past
> experience I would fail students that cannot manage to communicate at
> least once a week)
> o while your application is expected to give a high level outline of
> project plan, also provide details that show that you know what you
> are talking about
>
> Also feel free to contact me also off the list if you need further help.
>
> cheers
> --
> Torsten

Sergey Vladimirov