commons-user mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [SCXML] Maximum Length of State Names?
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 05:32:33 GMT
On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Lee, Cheryl - ES/RDR -Gil
<Cheryl.Lee@itt.com> wrote:
> Rahul,
>
> Thanks for the response.  I have some state names that are just over 60 characters in
length.  So, in 2 similar SCXML files (generated by a script) that are referenced by a master
state machine, I have similar state names that are something like (the actual state names
are irrelevant) abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_abcdefg and abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_abcdefg2
where the names are really long and only differ by the last character.  My master state machine
inexplicably jumps from abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_abcdefg to the
transition that is after abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_abcdefg2.
The problem goes away when I make the first state name shorter and rename it from abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_abcdefg
to abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_.  I can work around this problem by making my state names shorter,
but the 60+ characters have tremendous meaning in my application, and the SCXML files would
actually be less readable with shorter state names.  I just thought that if you knew of a
limit on the length of state names, it would help me to tailor my script that generates the
referenced SCXML files.  I'll experiment to see if I can put something more tangible together
that clearly demonstrates my issue.

<snip/>

Yup, please do. There shouldn't be any such restriction. If you can
create a simplest demonstrative test case and attach it to JIRA [1],
we can dig into this.

-Rahul

[1] http://commons.apache.org/scxml/issue-tracking.html

> Cheryl
>
> ________________________________

suspicion that some of my state names were too similar and too long (differ only in the last
character), and that this was resulting in my state machine taking an unexpected transition.
 Does anyone know what the actual limit is on the length of state names, because there clearly
seems to be one.  I fixed my problem in a test case by shortening some of the names of the
similarly named states, and the issue went away.  I now need to find all of the cases that
my state names are too long.

> <snip/>
>
> Threre isn't any restriction on the length of the event name, but the
> names are expected to imply an ontology. There is also some limited
> wildcard behavior so specifying event="foo.*" will match foo.bar,
> foo.baz, foo.bar.baz and so on.
>
> If you provide some details (actual event names in your case, or even
> better, a complete test document) we should be able to tell if the
> above applies.
>
> -Rahul
>

>> Thanks!
>> Cheryl

> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this
e-mail in error please notify the sender.
> Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of ITT Corporation. The recipient should check
this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT accepts no liability for
any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.