commons-user mailing list archives

From "Lee, Cheryl - ES/RDR -Gil" <Cheryl....@itt.com>
Subject RE: [SCXML] Maximum Length of State Names?
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 16:20:03 GMT
Rahul,

Thanks for the response.  I have some state names that are just over 60 characters in length.
 So, in 2 similar SCXML files (generated by a script) that are referenced by a master state
machine, I have similar state names that are something like (the actual state names are irrelevant)
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_abcdefg and abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_abcdefg2
where the names are really long and only differ by the last character.  My master state machine
inexplicably jumps from abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_abcdefg to the
transition that is after abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_abcdefg2.
The problem goes away when I make the first state name shorter and rename it from abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_abcdefg
to abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_.  I can work around this problem by making my state names shorter,
but the 60+ characters have tremendous meaning in my application, and the SCXML files would
actually be less readable with shorter state names.  I just thought that if you knew of a
limit on the length of state names, it would help me to tailor my script that generates the
referenced SCXML files.  I'll experiment to see if I can put something more tangible together
that clearly demonstrates my issue.

Cheryl

________________________________
From: Rahul Akolkar [mailto:rahul.akolkar@gmail.com]
Sent: Fri 2/6/2009 9:57 PM
To: Commons Users List
Subject: Re: [SCXML] Maximum Length of State Names?

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Lee, Cheryl - ES/RDR -Gil
<Cheryl.Lee@itt.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running into some strange behavior of my state machine, and I had a sneaking suspicion
that some of my state names were too similar and too long (differ only in the last character),
and that this was resulting in my state machine taking an unexpected transition.  Does anyone
know what the actual limit is on the length of state names, because there clearly seems to
be one.  I fixed my problem in a test case by shortening some of the names of the similarly
named states, and the issue went away.  I now need to find all of the cases that my state
names are too long.

<snip/>

Threre isn't any restriction on the length of the event name, but the
names are expected to imply an ontology. There is also some limited
wildcard behavior so specifying event="foo.*" will match foo.bar,
foo.baz, foo.bar.baz and so on.

If you provide some details (actual event names in your case, or even
better, a complete test document) we should be able to tell if the
above applies.

-Rahul