commons-user mailing list archives

From John Cartwright <John.C.Cartwri...@noaa.gov>
Subject Re: [DBCP] re-establish severed connections
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2009 23:22:12 GMT

Mark Thomas wrote:
> The validation query on its own does nothing. Have you tried setting
> testOnBorrow="true" ? That may be sufficient if you can live with a slight delay
> if a broken connection needs to be refreshed.
>
> Mark

Thanks Mark, I have the "testWhileIdle=true" which I understood would
run the validationQuery when the evictor thread fires up - is that
correct?  In limited testing, DBCP in this configuration seems to even
re-establish connections after a database restart.  Any further advice
that you can offer in dealing w/ that situation?

Listed below is my current configuration which seems to be working.
Many thanks for your help!

--john

<Resource name="jdbc/CHEETAH"
          type="javax.sql.DataSource"
          auth="Container"
          username="user"
          password="passwd"
          driverClassName="oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver"
          url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@hostname:1521:CHEETAH"
          maxActive="8"
          maxIdle="4"
          validationQuery="select 1 from dual"