commons-user mailing list archives

From John Cartwright <John.C.Cartwri...@noaa.gov>
Subject [DBCP] re-establish severed connections
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2009 16:37:52 GMT
Hello All,

We've recently installed a firewall that terminates connections that
have not had any traffic for 30 minutes.  This has caused problems with
our connection-pooled webapps in tomcat, since the connections in the
pool get severed.  I added a validation query, but it seems like the
first request after a period of inactivity hangs and subsequent requests
work normally.

I don't see any kind of "keepalive" setting for the pool - can someone
suggest a better strategy or settings to get around this problem?  I'm
using Oracle 10.2 and tomcat 6.0.18.  Here's my current configuration
w/in the context.xml.

Thanks for any suggestions!

--john

<Resource name="jdbc/CHEETAH"
          type="javax.sql.DataSource"
          auth="Container"
          username="dbuser"
          password="dbpasswd"
          driverClassName="oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver"
          url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@myhost:1521:CHEETAH"
          maxActive="8"
          maxIdle="4"
          validationQuery="select 1 from dual" />