commons-user mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <>
Subject Re: [beanutils] converting HTTP params into an arbitrary object model
Date Sun, 22 Feb 2009 23:04:08 GMT

Hi Andrew

I've done it now with BeanUtils - it was mainly a question of getting the
iteration and recursion algorithm right.

I know the odds are that I re-invented the wheel but I just couldn't find the
existing wheel, so to speak.

If it blows up in unexpected ways that leave me stranded, I'll definitely check
up on JXPath.

Andrew Hughes on 22/02/09 22:15, wrote:
> I have no idea if this suits your needs, but JXPath has a HTTP Request
> expression parser. So you can then 'pick' out of the http request/session...
> etc  whatever you want using an XPath expression.
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 6:34 AM, Adam Hardy <
>> wrote:
>> I have spent a day researching and prototyping with various open-source
>> options available which facilitate converting an HTTP request's parameters
>> into an object model of javabeans in a JPA persistence framework.
>> I don't want to re-invent the wheel and I was quite confident that
>> BeanUtils could handle it all, but I have now come across some areas where I
>> need to code it myself.
>> I just wanted to ask BeanUtils developers what the future holds in terms of
>> my aims, as I'll take that as guidance on how much to code around BeanUtils
>> and how much to compromise to get what I need, when there's a strong chance
>> of being able to ditch the code I'll have to write now, to replace it with
>> ideally just a couple of calls to BeanUtils.
>> The main thing I have to work around is the inability of a custom Converter
>> to know what class of entity beans belong in a list or set. If the Converter
>> could see the entity bean owning the list (the parent in the parent-child
>> entity relationship), then in Java 1.5+ it could work out by reflection how
>> it has been parameterized with generics and which child entity bean belongs
>> in the list.
>> Just in case you were going to point me to OGNL to do this, thanks but I've
>> been there and have some other issues with that.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message