commons-user mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject [Tomcat] [daemon] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError unable to create new native thread
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2009 15:31:32 GMT
We have an application that runs under Tomcat under RHEL 5.0  and is
launched by a jsvc daemon.
It chugs along seemingly fine on several servers, yet yesterday crashed
on one of them with the above exception seemingly without experiencing
any kind of abnormal load.  I am trying to get a handle on this.
System is

$ uname -a
Linux  2.6.18-92.1.22.el5 #1 SMP Fri Dec 5 09:29:46 EST 2008 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

Java version:
java -version
java version "1.5.0_16"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_16-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_16-b02, mixed mode, sharing)

no special JVM memory settings are used when launching tomcat, just the
default memory allocations.  I have read in some places that this
particular form of OutOfMemoryError is actually made worse by increasing
the memory size.

I need to deploy some thread and memory monitoring setup to get a handle
on this.

Can someone suggest a path forward here?

Thanks.