commons-user mailing list archives

From Suresh Pendap <SURESH.PEN...@oracle.com>
Subject Best practive for invoking VFS.close()
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2009 21:35:57 GMT
Hi,

             We are using VFS in order to transfer files using FTP, SFtp providers.  We are
using the singleton instance of the FileSystemManager by invoking VFS.getManager ().

All the file transfers are done by a daemon process upon user's request. Currently we are
not invoking (DefaultFileSystemManager).close () method after the end of each request.

I have noticed that if I invoke the close() after the end of the request, the next request
fails as the default single instance of FileSystemManager is already closed by the previous
request.

Currently we are not invoking the (DefaultFileSystemManager).close () method at all.   I would
like to know if it can have any potential Out of Memory issues or any other performance related
issues. I have read in the "Using APi" wiki page that it cleans the   resources and closes
all the files used by the FileSystemManager.

Also would it really impact the performance if we programmatically create the DefaultSystemManager
upon every request and then close the DefaultFileSystemManager instance at the end of the
request?

Regards

Suresh