commons-user mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Add New File Provider
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2009 00:21:10 GMT
I have not investigated this at all so I am relying on your findings
below.

If a 7zip provider can be written that has a dependency on a 7zip jar
and that jar is licensed under the LGPL then this is permitted under
current policy. We would simply need to notify legal-discuss that we
intend to add 7zip as an optional component to VFS. Since the
providers are all pretty much optional components there really is no
problem with that.  The dependent jar cannot reside within Apache's
SVN, but this is not a problem since VFS uses Maven - assuming, of
course, that the jar is available in a maven repository.

The pom.xml for VFS would need to list the dependencies as optional,
but we are already doing that for some of the providers to limit the
amount of baggage that is brought in.

If you create the provider, provide unit tests as well as instructions
for using it I would be happy to look at it and get the necessary
permission from legal.

Ralph