commons-user mailing list archives

From Anna Södling <anna.sodl...@passagen.se>
Subject Re: [SCXML] Using SCXML for a simulation
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:31:20 GMT
Thank you for your answers. I will definitely want to use Commons SCXML
then. Unfortunately, I can't (or rather, I am not allowed to) use the
IBM solution for the transforming part. My translation needs to be built
in to my existing editor and, if have understood it correctly, that is
not possible if I should use this. So my next thought was to build an
XSL-file and translate the XMI-file that my editor generates when
drawing a statechart using some kind of Java-code. But maybe someone has
already done this too? Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know
about such a translator? If there at least exist some XSL-file that does
this transformation I'm interested in that too.

Sincerely,
Anna

> Hi,
>
> I'm doing a thesis work where part of the work is that I'm supposed to
> be able to draw an UML statechart representing an application (like,
for
> example, a CD-player) and then step/run through it, using some kind of
> "engine". I have already built the statechart editor (done in GMF for
> Eclipse, which was a demand from the employer), but now I need some
way
> to 1) translate the UML-information to SCXML and 2) be able to
run/step
> through the simulation. Is Commons SCXML a good solution for this? As
> far as I have understood, the engine-part is possible to do with
Commons
> (although I haven't quite figured out how to do this yet), but how
about
> the translation-part? And is it possible to use Commons together with
> GMF-built editor? Does anyone have any experience doing this?
> I'm sorry if my questions seem a bit fuzzy. I can try to clarify them
if
> needed, but for a start I just want to know if I'm at least on the
right
> track here.

<snip/>

The questions aren't fuzzy at all actually. It is possible to do (1),
here is an example [A] where an appropriate Ecore model is transformed
into SCXML. You can look at using that or build a similar transform
for yourself from your model. And yes, Commons SCXML provides (2).

-Rahul

[A] http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/scxml

.

<P><p><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2" style="font-size:13.5px">_______________________________________________________________<BR>