commons-user mailing list archives

From "Torsten Curdt" <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [javaflow] getting started, and using with Scala, Maven, and Eclipse
Date Sat, 17 Jan 2009 17:50:59 GMT
Hey Ian

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 16:25, Ian Clarke <ian.clarke@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to get started with Javaflow and am a bit lost, I've
> searched for "getting started" instructions that cover installation,
> but can't find anything.

Well, there isn't that much to install. There certainly there is a tutorial

http://commons.apache.org/sandbox/javaflow/tutorial.html

And you might want to have a look into the testcases as well.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/sandbox/javaflow/trunk/src/test/java/org/apache/commons/javaflow/

> I'm using the 0.0.1-SNAPSHOT Maven dependency to get the Javaflow Jar
> and its dependencies (is this wise?).  I want to use Javaflow with
> Scala, and my development environment is Eclipse.

Where did you get the SNAPSHOT jar from? I would suggest you stick
with trunk and compile it yourself for now. But keep in mind - this is
not released software. And running the testcases you will see that
there is still work to be done.

I am currently playing with the AsmTransformer ...but those changes
still have a long way to go.

> A few questions:
>
> Is this where I should be getting a Javaflow binary from (ie. is it a
> recent version)?

It's in sandbox so you will have check it out yourself and run 'mvn install'

> How do I get Eclipse to do Javaflow bytecode instrumentation as part
> of its automatic build process?

I am not aware of such a integration ...but it certainly should be possible.

For now you could either instrument via the ant task or via the classloader.
The testcases use classloader instrumentation for example.

> Anything else I should know about using Javaflow with Scala?

Haven't heard of anyone using it with Scala ...but in theory it should
work as well.

Let us know how it works for you!

cheers
--