commons-user mailing list archives

From Ramon Buckland <ramon.buckl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Add New File Provider
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2009 22:12:58 GMT
Hi Feras,

I am not a developer for commons-vfs but have the following comments for
you.

You are free to use commons-vfs in accordance with the Apache License under
which it is distributed.
In general this means a fair bit. See here for details on the license.
http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html

What this means is you can, if you want to, write a new provider for
commons-vfs, however commons-vfs may not be able to incorporate it into the
core due to license restrictions between a 3rd party library and the apache
license.
In particular, this details what license could be compatible with Apache's
http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html

Now to specifics on 7zip. Jzip it seems is a GUI tool, i had a ferret around
and can see that 7zip actually provides an SDK for java for 7zip.
I notice that most of 7zip is licensed under LGPL. And the SDK seems to be
marked as "in the public domain".

If you were to use the 7zip SDK to add a File provider support to
commons-vfs you would
(a) not be able to distribute it with the commons-vfs is the code from 7zip
you use is LGPL.; or
(b) if it is only "public domain" software, you would need to investigate if
it is compatible with Apache's.

I suspect it is (a). Others can comment.

By all means, this does not stop you from doing the work, you using it, and
also distruibuting the provider on your or some other website not affliated
with commons-vfs.

hope that helps
Ramon