commons-user mailing list archives

From Josh Wyatt <josh.wy...@hcssystems.com>
Subject DBCP 1.2.2: configuring defaultReadOnly param
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2009 03:59:09 GMT
Greetings all.

Running dbcp-1.2.2 on Apache-2.0.55/Tomcat-4.1.29/Jakarta on Linux, using JDBC to connect
to Oracle 10g DB.

We are seeing the constant SET TRANSACTION READ WRITE activity against the DB connection,
and although I appreciate the discussion about a new configuration option, I am not able to
figure out how to disable this activity.

Background on this issue can be found at:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DBCP-178

For reference, assume that we do not have control over the codebase, although we have full
control over the server configuration (server.xml, etc).

I found the configuration options page for DBCP- but there appears to be no discussion on
the logistics/mechanics of how to set or change these configuration options.

Our connections are implemented as  type="org.apache.commons.dbcp.datasources.PerUserPoolDataSource"
in server.xml.  We have tried setting the parameter in the ResourceParams section for the
JDBC stanza, like this:

<ResourceParams name="jdbc/OURDBINSTANCENAME">
   <parameter>
       <name>factory</name>
       <value>org.apache.commons.dbcp.datasources.PerUserPoolDataSourceFactory</value>
    </parameter>
    <parameter>
       <name>defaultReadOnly</name>
       <value>notset</value>
    </parameter>
</ResourceParams>

...with no success.

It should be noted that previous to discovering this issue, we did not have this parameter
set at all; so I'm not even sure if this is the proper location for this configuration directive.
 I could not find any guidance in the DBCP documentation on where to put this stuff.

Please advise,
Josh