commons-user mailing list archives

From rmenon <rmenon...@gmail.com>
Subject Digester 1.8 classloader issue when using tomcat
Date Sat, 03 Jan 2009 19:14:45 GMT

Hi
I have three jar files: common, webapp-common, my-webapp.jar.
common- can be used by non web apps
webapp-common - common stuff shared by web apps.
my-webapp.jar - a particular web app.

 I am using digester to build my classes for the app my-webapp.jar. In the
digester rules, I have classes that are in all three jar files. Now, ideally
speaking, I should be able to put the webapp-cmmon and common jar files in
the shared/lib and the my-webapp.jar in WEB-INF/lib. However, that results
in the digester failing with "NoClassDefFoundException". The problem goes
away if we put all three jars in the WEB-INF/lib since the digester class
loader can see those classes. However, the common jar is already in the
shared/lib being used by other apps. I added some new "common" stuff for the
my-webapp.jar and hence running into this issue.

My latest thinking is to separate out the portion of the classes being used
by the my-webapp.jar from the common jar file into its own jar. Then I can
bundle the webapp-common ahd my-webapp.jar in to the WEBINF/lib and retain
the common jar in the shared/lib. Is there a better approach? What is the
best practice in this scenario. Does someone have an idea of overhead in
terms of performance etc if we "duplicate" jar files in each app instead of
sharing them in common/lib? What I do not like about this issue is that I
think this issue would not be there if I was creating objects without using
digester - so a way to use the approach (where I can access the common
classes from digester) would be really ideal in my opinion.

I did search the google and also this forum - I note that someone suggested
to always bundle each jar files within the web app itself separately. What
is the rationale for that?

Thank you!

I saw a suggestion here where someone suggested that