commons-user mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SCXML and commons survay
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2008 21:36:18 GMT
On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Karl Schmitt
<karlschmitt1969@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dear SCXML and Commons User,
>
> I am a developer here in Germany,
> and we (the software team I am working for) are considering to use the SCXML
> and the Commons libraries for a Prove of Concept Prototype,
> and I would like to know if SCXML and the Common libraries
> listed below are used in other Open Source or Commercial projects?
>
> commons-logging-1.1.1.jar
> commons-scxml-0.9.jar
> commons-jexl-1.1.jar
> commons-digester-1.8.jar
> commons-beanutils-1.8.0.jar
>
> In other words who is using SCXML and commons?

<snip/>

Others have answered about Commons in general and to some extent
Commons SCXML in particular, but let me add a few comments as well.

There are generally two facets to evaluating a project, in no
particular order: (a) activity, and (b) quality. I will give you some
data points for (a). Its always best for users to evaluate (b)
themselves according to their application needs, but I agree its good
to know who is using a particular library so I will say a bit about
that as well.

Regarding project activity, here are some metrics:

 * The mailing list traffic, which you can access via the various
public archives, here is one example:
    http://commons.markmail.org/search/?q=scxml

 * The traffic in the issue tracker, response times to issues etc.,
which you can access by looking at JIRA:
    http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SCXML

 * The frequency of releases - Commons SCXML has already had two
releases this year, and while there aren't any assurances in open
source software, the current intent is to keep going.

Regarding usage, while geography may not be very important, since you
mention Germany, I'll mention that I'm aware of folks from small and
not-small-by-any-metric companies in Germany using Commons SCXML. We
also list a few users who are willing to share on the project home
page (2 of them are open source projects):

  http://commons.apache.org/scxml/  (see bottom of)

I'd suggest evaluating Commons SCXML by using it, and if you have any
feedback, we'll be here :-)

-Rahul