commons-user mailing list archives

From daniel steel <sec...@yahoo.com>
Subject dbcp and long running queries
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 19:39:57 GMT
All,
  we are having issues where long running process is throwing error - that connection /statement
object is closed.

For eg:

  we have to process 100 invoices. so at the start of process, a connection is created to
the database and then invoices are processed individually. and after process 75 invoices,
the program exits with message statement / connection closed.

if we run just 75 invoices, we do not have any issues. So this leads to me believe some thing
in our configuration is causing the connection to be closed.

we are using removeabandoned property to remove abandoned connections. from the docs,
Traversing a resultset doesn't count as being used. in our application, once we get data from
database, it is processed in our app before next invoice is pulled from db. And during this
processing, i think the connection is getting closed as abandoned.

if i change the abandoned timeout, i will have to increase maxactive so as to avoid exhausting
the connection pool.

is there any other way to tackle this or any other setting that will help in fixing this issue?
or am i missign something in my analysis?

dan