commons-user mailing list archives

From Cyrille Roy <cyrille....@free.fr>
Subject Re: Can someone tell me what maxIdle & maxActive do ?
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:04:47 GMT
Hi,
for dbcp, an active connection is a connection where
connectionPool.getConnection() has been called and
connectionPool.getConnection().close() has not yet been called. In other
words, a connection that is no more in the connection pool.

An idle connection is a connection where connectionPool.getConnection()
and then connectionPool.getConnection().close() have been called.

Every time you get a connection from the pool, the number of active
connection is increased, and the number of idle connection is decreased.
Internally, dbcp holds a list of connection ready to be served. This is
the pool.

Basically, the number of connection opened to the db can be maxActive +
minIdle, because the pool will make sure "minIdle" number of connections
are created with the db .

Hope this helps,
Cyrille