commons-user mailing list archives

From "Srijith Kochunni" <ksrij...@novell.com>
Subject java.net.bind exception with ports < 80.
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:46:49 GMT

Hi All,

          I am using jsvc to daemonize my java application, which runs on a Linux box. I get
an error java.net.BindException: Permission denied. I get this only for ports < 1024 and
I understand on linux to bind to any ports which are below 1024, you require root permission.
Therefore I am launching my application as root. However I still am not able to get the privileges
required. My JSVC arguments are as follows.

   jsvc.exec -debug -Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=8008
-jvm server -user root -home $JAVA_HOME
  -outfile /var/opt/myfile.out -pidfile /var/run/myfile.pid -errfile '&1'

          I am launching as root user and also in jsvc arguments I have specified "-user root",
but am at a loss as to why I am still getting this exception, when I launch my jetty server.
When I tried to launch it normally outside jsvc, it works fine. I have searched on the net,
and also came across this message thread http://markmail.org/message/3mw6r2dievxvviu3#query:jsvc%20java.net.BindException%3A%20Permission%20denied+page:1+mid:j2w4dpzp4aaypun6+state:results
where it suggested, that some system call had been modified and it worked thereafter, but
did not find the details.

         Have run strace, but could not find any errors.
On starting in debug mode,  I see the following messages,
10/12/2008 18:55:30 6349 jsvc debug: user changed to 'root'
10/12/2008 18:55:30 6348 jsvc debug: User 'root' validated
and I also don't see any errors.

      Any help / suggestions in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Srijith.