commons-user mailing list archives

From munkee <r.g.r...@staffs.ac.uk>
Subject Can someone tell me what maxIdle & maxActive do ?
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2008 12:50:25 GMT

Hi,

We've got a problem with tomcat and JDBC pooling, we set the maxActive to 6
and maxIdle to 6, but this seems to then need 12 database connections to
work with these settings. Can anyone explain this?

We've 6 connections to the database to use, when we set maxActive to 6 and
maxIdle to 0, this seems to be working as expected. Although if we leave it
set to that then we're not using the pooling features as maxIdle isn't being
used.

Can anyone explain what maxIdle is, more than just : The maximum number of
connections that can remain idle in the pool, without extra ones being
released, or negative for no limit.

Then what advantages we would have if we set maxActive to 3 and maxIdle to
3, thus enabling pooling.

Many thanks,
Ray.