commons-user mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject RE: Defining and Adding a new provider to the apache VFS api
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2008 09:26:19 GMT
Hi!

> I need to know how to define and add a new provider to the api? I mean
> which classes do I need to extend and implement to create a new
> provider?

Have a look at the VFS sandbox and e.g. the mime or webdav provider.

Base directory:
vfs\sandbox\src\main\java\org\apache\commons\vfs\provider

Simply checkout vfs from http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/vfs/trunk to get access
to it.

There you will also find a "vfs-providers.xml" which you have to provide to give VFS a clue
where to find your provider and which namespace to use to access it.

Basically you have to provide implementations of
* AbstractFileObject (including the FileObject interface)
* AbstractFileSystem (including the FileSystem interface)
* AbstractOriginatingFileProvider (including the FileProvider interface)

When looking at the sandbox it sould become clear what to do. Unhappily there is no wiki which
describes these steps in every detail.

Ciao,
Mario