commons-user mailing list archives

From luc.maison...@free.fr
Subject Re: [MATH] commons math 2.0 snapshot jars
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2008 13:40:50 GMT

----- "Con Guy" <my.conjecture@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Thanks Luc. I was looking for the latest version as I wanted to
> enhance some of the classes and submit patches. On browsing the
> project website, I found this as the SVN checkout URL in the
> Developer's Guide page:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/trunk On
> building
> this project, I was getting a jar file with "1.3" in its filename.
>
> Is this the same source code as the one you have given? If I should
> submit a patch, should I generate the patch against the trunk (URL I
> have given) or MATH_2_0 branch (the URL you have given)?

You should use MATH_2_0 branch, it is easier for us and more in line with future development.
Also some incompatible changes have been introduced, so its better to be compliant with them.
One important thing to note is that there is pending work currently done on the linear algebra
package. I try to commit things when I reach a reasonable intermediate state, but this work
is not completed yet (but the interfaces are probably quite stable now).

> Also, if MATH_2_0 is the latest development branch, why isn't the URL
> to this given in the developer's guide? Wouldn't it be useful if
> potential contributors like us to be able to generate the patch
> against the latest developmental branch?

You are right. When development for 2.0 started, we were not sure that if this would be the
next version or if a 1.3 could be released before. So we decided to use a branch for 2.0 and
the trunk for 1.x. Now it seems there will not be a 1.3 release and the next version will
be 2.0, so it would be more straightforward to have 2.0 be the trunk, I agree. I don't think
we will switch branch/trunk at this intermediate state. We will more probably finish work
on 2.0 and put it back to trunk at release time.

When people provide patches against trunk, we usually rework them and apply them to branch
2.0. This is a little more work for us, but we can cope with this.

Luc