commons-user mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject Re: [daemon] How to achieve log rotation of jsvc outside of Tomcat
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:09:28 GMT
Simon Kitching wrote:
> Steve Cohen schrieb:
>
>> Simon Kitching wrote:

>>> I'm not a commons-daemon developer, but took a quick look anyway.
>>>
>>> I guess your comment about "rotation using SIGUSR1" is referring to this
>>> jira issue:
>>>   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-95
>>>
>>> That issue is still open, so as far as I can see jsvc does NOT support
>>> this.
>>>
>>> I can't see any other hint that jsvc supports log rotation, other than
>>> stopping and restarting the service.
>>>
>>> Note that a well-designed java app should not be writing much to stdout
>>> or stderr, so log rotation for that shouldn't be all that important. If
>>> you are getting lots of logging output, maybe the logging configuration
>>> for the application itself is misconfigured? Most java apps use either
>>> log4j, logback or java.util.logging's default loggers to write messages
>>> and those can all be configured in various ways.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Simon
>>>

>> I am using log4j.  Perhaps I need to turn off stdout logging.  But
>> there are still other things being written by support libraries that
>> I've never been able to figure out how to direct into log4j - Most
>> notably Hibernate, which logs the SQL to stdout and not to the log4j
>> logs.  If I could figure that out, this would get much less acute.
>>
> I'm a little surprised that you have Hibernate SQL logging enabled in
> what sounds like a production system (dev systems wouldn't be be running
> as a service using jsvc).

Good point about Hibernate logging in production.  On the other hand, we
run jsvc in development also, which was necessary to shake out our
experience using jsvc itself.  The logfile size is an issue in both.  In
any case, it's not a bad practice to make dev environment resemble
production as much as possible.
> But if Hibernate logging always writes to stdout then yes that is a problem.

It doesn't, I'm sure, but I've never been able to get the control of it
that I wish.  One of these nagging issues one never has time to solve.
> It does sound like you should add a "me too" note to that JIRA issue in
> case that pushes someone to commit the patch (or DAEMON-80 which uses
> syslog instead). Until then maybe you should build your own version of
> jsvc with that patch applied. Then you could have a cron script that does:
> * mv system.out system.out.old
> * kill -s SIGUSR1 pidOfJsvc (force jsvc to reopen logfiles, ie create
> new system.out)
> * wait a few seconds, or until file "system.out" is created
> * now can safely move system.out.old to somewhere else
>
> Cheers,
> Simon

Thanks.