commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [daemon] How to achieve log rotation of jsvc outside of Tomcat
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2008 15:30:24 GMT
Steve Cohen schrieb:
> Simon Kitching wrote:
>> Steve Cohen schrieb:
>>
>>> I am using jsvc to run a non-Tomcat java application as a daemon.
>>>
>>> I would like to achieve rotation of the system.out and system.err
>>> logs.  This is running on a Linux system, but I am by no means a Linux
>>> guru and when I see information like "support proper log rotation
>>> using SIGUSR1" I don't know what that means.
>>>
>>> Can someone provide a pointer to a more basic explanation for how to
>>> keep these logs rotated?
>>>
>> I'm not a commons-daemon developer, but took a quick look anyway.
>>
>> I guess your comment about "rotation using SIGUSR1" is referring to this
>> jira issue:
>>   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-95
>>
>> That issue is still open, so as far as I can see jsvc does NOT support
>> this.
>>
>> I can't see any other hint that jsvc supports log rotation, other than
>> stopping and restarting the service.
>>
>> Note that a well-designed java app should not be writing much to stdout
>> or stderr, so log rotation for that shouldn't be all that important. If
>> you are getting lots of logging output, maybe the logging configuration
>> for the application itself is misconfigured? Most java apps use either
>> log4j, logback or java.util.logging's default loggers to write messages
>> and those can all be configured in various ways.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Simon
>>

> I am using log4j.  Perhaps I need to turn off stdout logging.  But
> there are still other things being written by support libraries that
> I've never been able to figure out how to direct into log4j - Most
> notably Hibernate, which logs the SQL to stdout and not to the log4j
> logs.  If I could figure that out, this would get much less acute.
I'm a little surprised that you have Hibernate SQL logging enabled in
what sounds like a production system (dev systems wouldn't be be running
as a service using jsvc).

But if Hibernate logging always writes to stdout then yes that is a problem.

It does sound like you should add a "me too" note to that JIRA issue in
case that pushes someone to commit the patch (or DAEMON-80 which uses
syslog instead). Until then maybe you should build your own version of
jsvc with that patch applied. Then you could have a cron script that does:
* mv system.out system.out.old
* kill -s SIGUSR1 pidOfJsvc (force jsvc to reopen logfiles, ie create
new system.out)
* wait a few seconds, or until file "system.out" is created
* now can safely move system.out.old to somewhere else

Cheers,
Simon