commons-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [configuration] Swing components for Commons Configuration?
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:45:34 GMT
Mark Fortner schrieb:
> Hi Oliver,
> This looks like a good start.  I was thinking about something a little more
> comprehensive that would allow someone to map configuration items to fields
> in forms.  For example, if this was implemented via annotations, you would
> be able to decorate items like this:
>
> @Prefs{"/user-prefs[2]", "defaultFolder"}
> Preferences defaultFolder = .....
>

> This basically indicates that the object defaultFolder is bound to a field
> called "defaultFolder" which is found in a panel called "user-prefs".  The
> "user-prefs" panel is a child of the root node of the tree, and is the
> second field on the panel.
>
> Ideally, binding an item to a field on a panel would be declarative, and
> would obviate the need for property change event handler code -- similar to
> the way in which the Beans Binding framework works.
>
> It's probably a little beyond what you had intended, but gives you some idea
> of what I'm looking for.
>
> Mark

Ah, I see. This is indeed an interesting approach. And you are right,
this is beyond what I had in mind - and probably out of scope of the
Commons Configuration library.

I wonder whether it makes sense if a library like Commons Configuration
would be integrated into a typical application framework, e.g. the Swing
application framework [1]. Configuration is an important part of every
non-trivial application. And with an approach like yours the framework
could easily provide support for convenient preferences dialogs.

Just thinking aloud...

Oliver

[1] https://appframework.dev.java.net/