commons-user mailing list archives

From Patrick.Grim...@xtl.com
Subject Re: General Database Question
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 12:33:23 GMT
I actually don't have a Windows sql development tool.

I just use the JDBC-ODBC driver to access the MDB file, which I've defined as a
system datasource.

             Simon Kitching
             <skitching@apache.o
             rg>                                                             To
                                         Commons Users List
             09/12/2008 08:31 AM         <user@commons.apache.org>
                                                                             cc

              Please respond to                                         Subject
               "Commons Users            Re: General Database Question
                    List"
             <user@commons.apach
                   e.org>

Patrick.Grimard@xtl.com schrieb:
> I have a process that I've archived into a jar file.  That jar file gets
called
> on a schedule, on a Windows machine.  Part of my process queries 3 tables in
an
> MS Access database to extract the data and dump it to a DB2 database.  I've
> noticed that the last few times it has ran, it always returns 20000 records
from
> one of the tables.  I've seen that particular table have fewer records, like
in
> the 2000 to 3000 range, as much as 15000+, but now it keeps returning exactly
> 20000.  I didn't like the fact that the number was so round, so I created a
test
> class that does a simple "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM" and I pass the table name as a
> parameter to the class.  I was shocked to see that the result was in fact
20000
> for the particular table in question.
>
> So I guess my question is, could the Access database be locked down to only
hold
> a maximum of 20000 records in a given table?  Or is there something else going
> on?

What result do you get when running the same query from within a windows
sql development tool?

And what do you see if you use a java-based sql development tool? One
reasonable one is:
   http://squirrel-sql.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
Simon