commons-user mailing list archives

From Peter_F...@blm.gov
Subject Re: [Chain] Parametizing commands?
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2008 20:19:45 GMT
It turns out that (as you probably know) it is possible to parametize
commands in the catalog XML file. (I should point out that the
documentation of the format of the XML file is either missing or in a
hard-to-find place; I couldn't find it and had to resort to pulling the
Digester rules apart to figure this out).

In any case, this means that it's possible to do what I was asking - but
it's not necessarily easy, so I've written a package to make this kind of
thing a whole lot simpler. The core class is an abstract class that allows
you to initialize mappings from the key names used in the code, to the
actual names used to access the context. In this way you can write
easily-reusable commands and provide the mappings in the XML.

In addition it supports hierarchies of contexts to make it easier to keep
complex structures organized, and like the keys the contexts can be mapped
to simple names.

I've been testing it and it shows a lot of promise; I'd like to submit the
code for consideration for inclusion in a future release of Commons-Chain
but I have no idea how to go about that; however I can email a source JAR
if anyone's interested.

--Pete

"Niall Pemberton" <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote on 09/05/2008 06:57:31
PM:

> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 5:49 PM,  <Peter_Ford@blm.gov> wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking for a way to decouple the context keys used in a command
from
> > the actual context keys used at runtime. Here's an example:
> >
> > Here's a really simple command  that just concatenates two strings from
the
> > context - the keys are A and B and the concatenated output goes in C:
> >
> > public class Concat implements Command
> > {
> >    @Override
> >    public boolean execute(Context context) throws Exception
> >    {
> >        context.put("C", (String) context.get("A") + (String)
> > context.get("B"));
> >        return false;
> >    }
> > }
> >
> > Let's say I need to create a chain that uses this command, but the
other
> > commands leading up to this one leave the two strings that need to be
> > joined the context under the keys FIRST_NAME and LAST_NAME, and the
result
> > is expected to be in FULL_NAME for the next step in processing. So now
> > have to create two more commands: one to move FIRST_NAME to A and
LAST_NAME
> > to B, so that the strings are in the right places for my Concat
command,
> > and then another to follow that moves C to LAST_NAME.
> >
> > That's not very nice - I now have three commands to do the job of one.
If I
> > need to use Concat somewhere else but using different keys again
(combining
> > DIRECTORY and FILE to create PATH, say) I have to create yet more
commands
> > just to move things around so that I can re-use the command that does
the
> > actual work. And in fact in the application I've been developing
something
> > like a third of the commands in the app are just to do this kind of
> > data-shuffling, and I have command chains that are twice as long as
they
> > really should be.
> >
> > What I'd like to be able to do is provide some kind of mapping from the
> > "label" keys used by my command code, to the "real" keys that get used
at
> > runtime. As an example, I might want to represent my chain something
like
> > this in XML:
> >
> >  <command name="Concat">
> >    <map label="A" to="FIRST_NAME" />
> >    <map label="B" to="LAST_NAME" />
> >    <map label="C" to="FULL_NAME" />
> >  </command>
> >  <command name="Concat">
> >    <map label="A" to="DIRECTORY" />
> >    <map label="B" to="FILE" />
> >    <map label="C" to="PATH" />
> >  </command>
> >
> > I could do this myself *if* there was a way to parametize individual
> > command references in a chain something like this, but as far as I can
tell
> > there is no such option in Chain as it is right now.
>
> The sample webapp(s) has an example of exactly this - theres an
> example "forward" command where the actual forward is specified as a
> property:
>
> http://svn.apache.

org/repos/asf/commons/proper/chain/trunk/apps/example1/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/chain/apps/example/ForwardCommand.

> java
>
> Then in the chain config you specify the fowards property:
>
> http://svn.apache.

org/repos/asf/commons/proper/chain/trunk/apps/example1/src/main/webapp/WEB-