commons-user mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: javaflow & aranea continuations
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2008 01:31:56 GMT
>> Well, the ASM enhancer should still be considered experimental. And
>> someone reported it to be much slower than the BCEL one.
>> (Which is a bit of a surprise) Still I would love to see ASM being
>> used as the main engine. Just because the library has a much better
>> community.
>
> I've worked only on the ASM enhancer because it seems much more
> simple to understand.
> Is the enhancing process or the enhanced code to be slower?

The final code should be the same. The enhancing process has been
reported to be slower.

>>> I see there is no action around javaflow in the last year: is this
>>> because of critical issues with its continuation approach or
>>> simply lack of interest?
>> Well, I don't really use it at work anymore. And rarely people even
>> just gave feedback. Not talking about any contributions. Especially
>> when in the end I hear about people using it in their PhD thesis or
>> some cool projects I am a little in between. "Cool!" and "WTF
>> didn't you show up on the mailing lists". It's too much work if you
>> don't get paid for it and don't even use it. Plus I am not a big
>> fan of one man shows.
>
> I understand!
> Maybe Servlet-3.0 suspend/resume stuff will make tomcat people to be
> interested in javaflow.. Maybe I'll ping them sooner or later.

Cool

>>> About "talk to the RIFE guys"/"talk to the aspectwerkz and aspectj
>>> folks", did anything happen?
>> I only have talked briefly with Geert. He was considering changing
>> the license and working together on it. While it is not as generic
>> as javaflow he is happy with his implementation. So I guess I just
>> did not have enough energy following up on this.
>
> I don't know anything about RIFE continuations methods. Does it
> still work with bytecode enhancement and a StackRecorder like
> runtime object?

Yes, they took a slightly different approach though.

> I succesfully made the ASM testsuite to fully pass
> (SANDBOX-254+SANDBOX-255 patches). If there are known limitations
> can you create failing tests for them?

I've just looked into them but (see the comment) but unfortunately
patches also did not apply cleanly.

I hope to have some more time this week.

cheers
--
Torsten