commons-user mailing list archives

From "Wes Clark" <wcl...@guidewire.com>
Subject RE: DBCP Returning Closed Connections
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2008 20:11:49 GMT
We've had the same problem on SQL Server. Set the "testWhileIdle" to
test a few connections every so often.  It will keep the connections
alive.

-----Original Message-----
From: Khawaja Shams [mailto:ksshams@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:40 PM
To: user@commons.apache.org
Subject: DBCP Returning Closed Connections

Hello,   One of our servers goes through periods of activity followed by
long idle durations.  It appears as though after the server sits idle
for a few hours, subsequent requests to the DBCP Pool return connections
that have already been closed. This is a bit frustrating as I could not
find a way to take that connection out of the pool, and the same
instance of the connection keeps getting returned to other requests.
The connection is to a MySQL server.  I tried setting the testOnBorrow
variable to true (I am using
BasicDataSource) before the first time I borrow the connection, but it
does not seem to have any impact.  Does anybody have a work around or a
hunch as to what I may be doing wrong? Thanks.

Regards,
Khawaja Shams