commons-user mailing list archives

From chitraa <achitral...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The java.net.SocketException: No buffer space available (maximum connections reached?): listen failed Exception
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2008 06:46:37 GMT

I don't seem to be getting this error anymore. From what I can gather (for
the reference of others who have/are currently encountering this problem),
there were two reasons why the 'No buffer space available' exception was
being thrown:

1. As explained by Daniel in his post, if an exception occurs while a binded
socket tries to make a connection to a machine, the socket does not get
unbounded and closed. Try adding a java try catch block to ensure all
sockets get unbounded and closed if an exception is thrown while either i)
trying to establish a connection to the machine or ii) performing file
transfer.

2. A memory or file handle leak can also be the source of the problem. When
a program opens up too many handles rapidly, it exhausts the system
resources - hence throwing the "No Buffer Space" error. In my case, I found
that an external application was opening up too many handles. When I closed
that process, the error did not appear. To check and see how many handles
the processes on your computer has opened up, look at your Task Manager and
click View -> Select Columns -> Handle Count.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to this post and give me
valuable suggestions. :)

Regards,
Chitra