commons-user mailing list archives

From "Garrett Smith" <dhtmlkitc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problem using Commons fileupload for progress bar with Javaworld example
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2008 06:21:18 GMT
On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Patrick Fong <lielarster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm using Apache Commons for FileUpload to do a progress bar using Ajax. I'm
> using prototype for ajax.

Do you mean Prototype.js?

http://www.prototypejs.org/learn/introduction-to-ajax
| Ajax functionality is contained in the global Ajax object.
| The transport for Ajax requests is xmlHttpRequest,

Did you notice that the JavaWorld example is using an iframe?

With the exception of Firefox, and possibly Webkit in the near future,
you can't send a file over XHR.

> I found that when the code hits 'upload.parseRequest', the servlet completes
> that line, that is uploads the file before proceeding. Hence I can't track
> the file upload even using the ProgressListener implementation.

I think you must be mistaken. The file was not uploaded. Certainly the
servlet did not upload the file; it merely performed the task of
processing the request it got from the container.

Garrett