commons-user mailing list archives

From "Wm.A.Stafford" <>
Subject DBCP What does minIdle control?
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:38:19 GMT
The description of the minIdle param on the DBCP javadoc page is
confusing me.  The actual text is:

"The minimum number of active connections that can remain idle in the
pool, without extra ones being created, or 0 to create none."

I'm confused by the reference to "active connections".  I think of
"active" and "idle" as mutually exclusive states.  But this
documentation seems to imply that a connection can be both or that there
is some other class of  idle connection that was not at one time active.

Intuitively I would think minIdle is the cut off point for idle
connections.  When this value is reached, i.e. numIdle=<minIdle, new
connections must be obtained to push numIdle > minIdle.  But, in most
cases, I would think these new connections would immediately be idle,
not active.  They are just being created to push the number if idle
connections above the cut off point.

Can anyone clarify this?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: