commons-user mailing list archives

From Harald Finster <>
Subject Re: [JXPATH] getting Containers in iteration (additional info)
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:44:03 GMT
Dear Matt,
dear list-members,

thank you very much for your kind reply.

Matt Benson wrote:

> Remember that JXPath more or less exposes the Java
> object graph as an XML document, so the rules it uses
> to do so may seem somewhat arbitrary.

yes, that's clear.
I had (little) hope, that this arbitrariness might be
configurable in some way, but I am certainly asking too much.
(And I don't want to belittle the value of jxpath in any way,
it is a great tool.)

> There are some
> comments at
> relating to the idea of reading the list property
> directly.

Thank you for this. The article makes the point
very clear.

> With regard to maps,
> the decision was made "in the beginning" to implement
> JXPath such that Maps are exposed as bare objects;
> note that a Map is not a collection.  Consider that
> unless a Map's keys are Strings there is no guarantee
> that a reasonable path step could be interpolated for
> a given Map entry; this is probably the most direct
> reason I could speculate for the decision not to
> handle Maps in any special way in JXPath.

sounds absolutely plausible - yes.

>>> asking dump questions. (At least I had a look at

"dump" I should learn to write English ;-)

Bottom line: I will write some kind of 'post-processing'.

Again, thanks for your enlightening comments.

Dr.-Ing. Harald Finster / Aachen Germany industrial history and architecture       gallery: watercolours and oil paintings

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message