commons-user mailing list archives

From Rory Winston <rory.wins...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: commons-math usage to calculate APR?
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2008 23:17:39 GMT
If your loan fees are expressed as a fixed amount you may be able to
represent the total PV of the loan as loan amount + fees, and then solve
for the monthly payment amount using the annuity formula:

PV = C(1/r - 1/(r(1+r)^t))
=> C = PV/(1/r  - 1/(r(1+r)^t))

Then you can build a payment schedule and calculate the APR of the
entire loan plus fees by calculating the IRR of the cash flows. Do you
actually need commons-math to do this? Could you do it in Excel instead,
using the IRR() or PMT() functions? That would probably be easier.

Rory