commons-user mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject javaflow & aranea continuations
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:00:45 GMT
Hi all,

I've discovered this cool stuff only few days ago and I browsed a lot
the web searching for info and now I'm here ;-)

I didn't find aranea-continuations mentioned in javaflow, but I think it
is a very interesting abstraction layer on top of javaflow, it is pretty
generic (core is generic, then they have specific stuff for swing and
their mvc framework) and it is Apache "ALv2" Licensed.

I read this:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/sandbox/javaflow/trunk/TODO
but it seems a bit outdated (asm support marked as "maybe" seems to be
there, the BCEL issues seems fixed following rhe links)... Running the
tests seems that ASM and BCEL enhancer have the same quality level, but
I may be missing something as I simply looked at test results.

I see there is no action around javaflow in the last year: is this
because of critical issues with its continuation approach or simply lack
of interest?

About "talk to the RIFE guys"/"talk to the aspectwerkz and aspectj
folks", did anything happen?

I didn't find too much activity (docs/webpages) around RIFE
continuations or any of the above and even about the JSR proposal.

I checked out the sources with eclipse and enabled m2eclipse, the only
issue I found is that the main pom references
commons-jci-core:1.0-SNAPSHOT. I see commons-jci-core:1.0 has been
released so I removed "-SNAPSHOT" and it succesfully built.

I found at least a couple of projects around using self compiled
javaflow libraries so it seems that even if it is incomplete it is
useful to the world. Is there any motivation against making a 0.1
release in commons or is it simply lack of time?

Indeed JavaFlow is cool stuff!
Stefano