commons-user mailing list archives

From Frank van der Kleij <kl...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: [VFS] How to use operations
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:50:38 GMT

Yeah, I know what it is; I did read the JavaDocs and I have implemented some FileOperations
myself.

I am just curious if anyone else has ever used them and how they did it.

Is the only use of them when you create your own client that knows about your own operations?
Or should any VFS client (e.g. JCommander)  know how to discover which operations exist, select
one, configure it and execute it?

Frank

> Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 07:24:50 -0400
> From: james@carmanconsulting.com
> To: user@commons.apache.org
> Subject: Re: [VFS] How to use operations
>
> Check the Javadocs for FileOperation/s.  It's intended to be used for
> "extensions" to the core API that could be provided by some
> implementations (the example given is a version control system, such
> as CVS/SVN).
>
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 7:13 AM, Frank van der Kleij <kleij@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Ah, now I see! Sorry, I tried to refer to the 'FileOperations': FileObject.getOperations().
> >
> > There is some code in org.apache.commons.vfs.operations and org.apache.commons.vfs.operations.vcs.
> >
> > Thanks for helping me clarify.
> >
> > Frank
> >
> >> Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 06:38:25 -0400
> >> From: james@carmanconsulting.com
> >> To: user@commons.apache.org
> >> Subject: Re: [VFS] How to use operations
> >>
> >> What I'm getting at is that if you stick to the VFS public API (the
> >> FileObject interface), you should have a pretty good idea of what
> >> operations are available across the different implementations.  Of
> >> course, some implementations don't support all operations (HTTP can't
> >> give you a directory listing for instance).

to VFS
When