commons-user mailing list archives

From Frank van der Kleij <kl...@hotmail.com>
Subject [VFS] How to use operations
Date Sun, 13 Jul 2008 18:41:29 GMT

Hi all,

I'm toying with my own VFS operations but I can't quite figure out how to work with them.

don't see how a client of the VFS framework should use the operations;
other than when the client has prior knowledge of the operations that
exist.

I wrote a beanshell script that rewrites the basic
beanshell interpreter file manipulations (cd, pwd, cp, mv etc) to VFS
manipulations. It works  great and  I can use my custom provider (for
Documentum) without any problem within the beanshell interpreter. When
I tried to add support for operations I found that it is difficult to
make  it generic though.

I added some operations to my provider
just to try; when I list the available operations I get a list of
Classes. As a user it is quite hard to interpret this. I could try to
use Reflection, but a user readable description of what the operation
seems far away.

In my view the operations only become
interesting when they are usable by a generic VFS client. If the client
is specific for the operations (I guess most operations are related to
a provider for a particular schema)  then I don't see the need to have
the intermediate VFS layer, you can as well  create a client based
directly on the underlying layer.

Does anyone have any experience with using the operations?

Thanks,

Frank