commons-user mailing list archives

From Christopher Friedt <>
Subject TelnetClient disable echo (Please Help!)
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 22:36:32 GMT
Hi everyone,

After a couple of days googling, I searched the mailing list archives
but did not come across anything to solve my problem.

Basically, I'm writing a Java app that will telnet into a TS-72xx ARM
board and run commands. However, the commands that I'm writing out and
flushing keep appearing when I try to read my results back from the
telnet stream.

This seems to be the case regardless of which SimpleOptionHandler /
EchoOptionHandler I specify, before or after connection. I've even tried
every permutation of telnet option 45 (suppress local echo).

Could somebody provide reliable sample Java code that uses TelnetClient
to connect to a telnet service (preferably that of BusyBox) ?

I've verified that the BusyBox telnet server is not at fault using plain
old sockets to port 23. When I issue the IAC DON'T ECHO and IAC WON'T
ECHO telnet directives, I do not see any echoing. That would also
eliminate the possibility that my JVM is at fault or my OS, but if it
matters, I'm running Sun JDK under Gentoo Linux / 2.4.26-r1,
and commons-net-1.4.1-r1.

Many thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message