commons-user mailing list archives

From Bear Giles <bgi...@coyotesong.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6.0.16 on Linux installation and setup
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2008 03:47:06 GMT
You definitely don't want to run tomcat as root!  Ideally create a new
user and group, e.g., 'tomcat6', and run tomcat as that user.  You'll
want to change ownership of $CATALINA_HOME and everything it contains to
tomcat6.

I think debian puts the pid in $CATALINA_HOME/temp/tomcat6.pid.  I don't
know if that breaks the rules for what goes into 'temp' though.

You'll also need to make some ownership changes to your system, as
appropriate.  E.g., my $CATALINA_HOME/logs
directory is actually a symlink to the more standard /var/log/tomcat6,
with the latter owned by my tomcat user instead of root.