commons-user mailing list archives

From "Jean-Philippe Daigle" <Jean-Philippe.Dai...@SolaceSystems.com>
Subject RE: Strange performance issues seen with Log.isDebugEnabled()
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2008 22:11:18 GMT
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Emmanuel Bourg [mailto:ebourg@apache.org]
> Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:57 PM
> To: Commons Users List
> Subject: Re: Strange performance issues seen with Log.isDebugEnabled()
>
> Could this be related to the JRE used ?
>
> Emmanuel Bourg

Thanks for the suggestion!

I had thought about that (again, didn't mention it for fear of the email
being too long). I tried running again under JDK 1.6.0_06 (WinXP, dual
Xeon machine), and I'm seeing the same difference.

Original tests were with JDK 1.5.0_09 (<-- blast from the past, but it's
what we support).
Second wave of tests were with JDK 1.6.0_06.

The move to 1.6.0 had a "rising tide floats all boats" effect: both the
slow and the fast test case got faster, but in about the same
proportion, so there's still a large throughput difference between the
two.

Jean-Philippe