commons-user mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Turning off commons logging
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2008 20:48:09 GMT
John B. Moore wrote:
> I'm using a number of org.apache.commons libraries in a web project and
> I need to turn off the logging that is occurring within the commons.  I
> must confess that, though I have used Log4j for years, I only use it at
> a very basic level and still rely on a very basic property file. (shown
> at the bottom of this message)
>
> The commons libraries are generating massive amounts of output and I
> need to shut that off.
>
> I keep my log4j.properties file for a given webapp in:
>
> ../tomcat/webapps/applicationroot/conf/log4j.properties

The place where we put our log4j configuration file in webapps is

.../tomcat/webapps/myWebapp/WEB-INF/classes/logj4.properties

That puts it on the classpath for the webapp.

If you have it in the place you mentioned above, I don't think that it
will be found by Log4j being called through Commons Logging.

> My first guess wast that it is seeing my core instance of Log4j and
> using that.. but when I add
>
> log4j.logger.org.apache.commons=ERROR
>
> ..it has no effect.. which makes me question that it is seeing my
> configuration file.
>
> Anyone have some hints as to getting the commons logging turned off
> without affecting my application logging.
>
> Thanks..
>
> John..
>

> ================ current log4j property file contents ===========
>
> log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, A1, R1
>
> # A1 is a Console Appender
> log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
>
> # R1 is a Rolling file appender
> log4j.appender.R1=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
> log4j.appender.R1.File=application.log
> # File Size
> log4j.appender.R1.MaxFileSize=100KB
> # Keep one backup file
> log4j.appender.R1.MaxBackupIndex=2
>

> # Output Patterns
> log4j.appender.A1.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> log4j.appender.A1.layout.ConversionPattern=%-4r [%t](%F:%L) %-5p - %m%n
>
> log4j.appender.R1.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> log4j.appender.R1.layout.ConversionPattern=%-4r [%t](%F:%L) %-5p - %m%n

Dennis Lundberg