commons-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Telnet] how to determine the prompt?
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:41:17 GMT
On 03/06/2008, Uwe Fischer <mistuwefischer@web.de> wrote:
> Hi Sebb,
>
>  your idea to change the prompt sounds good. However, how would I identify the very first
appearance of the prompt in order to change it? Also, is this (changing the prompt) possible
for Windows based telnet servers aswell?

It's not the telnet server that provides the prompt, it's the
application you are talking to, in that case presumably DOS.

You either need to know what the prompt is in advance, or wait for a timeout.

As I wrote before: how does a human know the system is ready for input?

>  Concerning your question, the problem with output redirection is that the program would
stop reading from the input stream, due to the appearance of ">" which would indicate that
the prompt has been reached. AFAIK.

That does not make sense to me.

If you telnet to a Unix system and issue the command:

ls -l >list.txt

the shell prompt will be issued as soon as the ls program has finished.

>  Cheers,
>  Uwe

problem I face is that the devices I attach to can have the "#" or ">" characters maintained
in a user welcome messages when logging in. E.g., the following welcome message is displayed
when logging on to the device:
>  > >  ############################################
>  > >  Welcome at "hostname". In case of any issues contact Uwe
>  > >  ############################################
>  > >
>  > >  How can one distinguish the "#" character when used in a comment and when
used to indicate the prompt?
>  > >
>  >
>  > Can you set the prompt to a string that is not likely to be seen elsewhere?
>  > Maybe even include a control character such as ^G (bell).
>  >
>  > If not, you are probably going to have to use timeouts to decide when
>  > output has finished.
>  >
>  > >  Another problem could occur when somebody would redirect stdout of a Unix
system to a file, e.g.:
>  > >  ls -l > output_list.txt
>  > >
>  > >  Any ideas?
>  >
>  > How would a human know when output has finished?
>  >
>  > >  Thanks and best regards,
>  > >  Uwe
>  > >