commons-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Telnet] how to determine the prompt?
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2008 12:39:38 GMT
On 03/06/2008, Uwe Fischer <mistuwefischer@web.de> wrote:
> Hello Pierre,
>
>  thanks for your answer.
>  Yes, I did what you mention. But it's not "really" solving my issue. The problem I face
is that the devices I attach to can have the "#" or ">" characters maintained in a user
welcome messages when logging in. E.g., the following welcome message is displayed when logging
on to the device:
>  ############################################
>  Welcome at "hostname". In case of any issues contact Uwe
>  ############################################
>
>  How can one distinguish the "#" character when used in a comment and when used to indicate
the prompt?

Can you set the prompt to a string that is not likely to be seen elsewhere?
Maybe even include a control character such as ^G (bell).

If not, you are probably going to have to use timeouts to decide when
output has finished.

>  Another problem could occur when somebody would redirect stdout of a Unix system to
a file, e.g.:
>  ls -l > output_list.txt
>
>  Any ideas?

How would a human know when output has finished?