commons-user mailing list archives

From Uwe Fischer <mistuwefisc...@web.de>
Subject Re: [Telnet] how to determine the prompt?
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2008 15:26:44 GMT
Hello Sebb,

I'm afraid I still don't understand 100% what you say.
A human's terminal would be blocked as long as a command is being processed by the system,
wouldn't it?
But using the API it's different, what would happen if you send a second command to the remote
machine while it is processing the first one?

I read about the ABORT OUTPUT control function, do you have clue whether this could be used
here? And if so, how it is being activated in the API?

Thanks again and sorry for all the hassle :-)

Regards,
Uwe

long as a defined "prompt" character is found.
> >  E.g., http://www.informit.com/guides/content.aspx?g=java&seqNum=40
> >
> >  In this example a command like 'ls -l > output.txt' would not be handled properly
(of course only if ">" is defined to be the prompt too).

> In which case, turn off echo.
>
> Or just look for > at or near the start of a line.
>
> As I wrote (twice) before, how does a human know when input is expected?
>
> >  I hope I do not confuse you. Actually I'm just looking for another way to find
out when a command has been executed. Isn't the telnet standard offering anything like this?
I mean, does the client get some kind of status about the remote machine (something like "busy"
or "waiting for command" or similar).

> No, AFAIK telnet does not address that.
>
> Besides, some OSes allow one to type-ahead, so even when the system is
> "busy" it will accept input (though this is usually fairly limited in
> size).
>

> >  Cheers,
> >  Uwe
> >

> >  > On 03/06/2008, Uwe Fischer <mistuwefischer@web.de> wrote:
> >  > > Hi Sebb,
> >  > >
> >  > >  your idea to change the prompt sounds good. However, how would I identify
the very first appearance of the prompt in order to change it? Also, is this (changing the
prompt) possible for Windows based telnet servers aswell?
> >  > >
> >  >
> >  > It's not the telnet server that provides the prompt, it's the
> >  > application you are talking to, in that case presumably DOS.
> >  >
> >  > You either need to know what the prompt is in advance, or wait for a timeout.
> >  >
> >  > As I wrote before: how does a human know the system is ready for input?
> >  >
> >  > >  Concerning your question, the problem with output redirection is that
the program would stop reading from the input stream, due to the appearance of ">" which
would indicate that the prompt has been reached. AFAIK.
> >  >
> >  > That does not make sense to me.
> >  >
> >  > If you telnet to a Unix system and issue the command:
> >  >
> >  > ls -l >list.txt
> >  >
> >  > the shell prompt will be issued as soon as the ls program has finished.
> >  >
> >  > >  Cheers,
> >  > >  Uwe
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > >
my issue. The problem I face is that the devices I attach to can have the "#" or ">" characters
maintained in a user welcome messages when logging in. E.g., the following welcome message
is displayed when logging on to the device:
> >  > >  > >  ############################################
> >  > >  > >  Welcome at "hostname". In case of any issues contact Uwe
> >  > >  > >  ############################################
> >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > >  How can one distinguish the "#" character when used in a
comment and when used to indicate the prompt?
> >  > >  > >
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  > Can you set the prompt to a string that is not likely to be seen
elsewhere?
> >  > >  > Maybe even include a control character such as ^G (bell).
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  > If not, you are probably going to have to use timeouts to decide
when
> >  > >  > output has finished.
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  > >  Another problem could occur when somebody would redirect
stdout of a Unix system to a file, e.g.:
> >  > >  > >  ls -l > output_list.txt
> >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > >  Any ideas?
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  > How would a human know when output has finished?
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  > >  Thanks and best regards,
> >  > >  > >  Uwe
> >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > >
GRATIS!
> >  > >  > >  > > Exklusiv für alle WEB.DE Nutzer. http://www.blockbuster.web.de
> >  > >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > >  > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> >  > >  > >  > > For additional commands, e-mail: user-help@commons.apache.org
> >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > >  Jetzt neu! Schützen Sie Ihren PC mit McAfee und WEB.DE.
30 Tage