commons-user mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [SCXML] XML engine decoupled from code
Date Thu, 01 May 2008 19:39:36 GMT
On 4/30/08, Ouyang, Landon - ES/RDR -Gil <Landon.Ouyang@itt.com> wrote:
> Rahul,
>
>  Thanks once again for the quick response.
>
>  Before reading your e-mail I had already decided to go with the <invoke>
>  route for developing our implementation. I made our state machine class
>  an invoker class and registered it with the SCXML executor. The invoke()
>  method would trim the string passed in as the source parameter and
>  invoke the method similar to the AbstractStateMachine class. I am now
>  able to add statements in the XML that utilize the <invoke> tag to
>  invoke Java methods defined inside the state machine class.
>
>  I ran into a problem which leads me to believe I may have chosen the
>  wrong route: I cannot access the initiated values of the class!
<snip/>

As in static fields? Should be possible.

> For
>  example, the state machine needed access to the GUI to change various
>  widgets. I had a member assigned to the JFrame to accomplish this but
>  this member is now null in the invoked method even though I correctly
>  initialized it earlier! This never happened before until I transformed
>  the state machine class to an invoker class. Is the Invoker object a
>  separate instance of the original state machine object?

<snap/>

Each <invoke> gets a new instance of the Invoker class. If you need to
"initialize" the instance with handles to other bits (such as a
JFrame, in this example), those need to be in the state machine's
Context and passed in as <param>s.

IOW, an example in code:

0) Say myJFrame is the frame
executor.getRootContext().set("frame", myJFrame);

1) Markup fragment
<invoke ...>
  <param name="frame" expr="frame"/>
</invoke>

2) In invoker#invoke(String src, Map params) .... params.get("frame")
gets you the frame.

Finally, as mentioned on the Commons SCXML homepage (and the spec in
progress), <invoke> is evolving.

-Rahul